RESIDENCY programme: What is it?
Over the last five years we’ve put on regular events at some of the best live music venues in the city, including: the Hare and Hounds (Kings Heath), the Bull’s Head (Moseley) and The Rainbow (Digbeth).
More recently we’ve been working closely with a small number of acts, helping them to record new music and take new photographs. We’re always looking for new ways to support Birmingham music.
In 2017 we’re partnering with the Midlands Art Centre (MAC) to host monthly gigs throughout the year. This will include four high-profile showcase gigs featuring well-established Birmingham acts as well as exciting new bands and artists.
Alongside this we’re starting a new venture called the Impact Residency Programme.
What is the Impact Residency Programme?
The Impact Residency Programme is designed for bands and solo artists based in Birmingham (see Who is it For).
Every quarter over 2017, we want to work with a ‘resident band’ to help them develop, gain experience and grow their audience.
- We will work with the resident band over a three month period and record up to three high-quality demo tracks for the band to use*
- Each resident band will get to play three gigs at the MAC, culminating in a high-profile showcase event featuring another established Birmingham act
- The first two gigs will be non-ticketed and will take place in one of the MAC’s public spaces (for example, the Arena Bar). These are great spaces in themselves but also get a substantial amount of passing footfall. You can use these gigs to grow your audience, hone your live performance and test out new material
- The third gig will be a high-profile ticketed showcase gig in one of the MAC’s theatre venues, alongside another established Birmingham act. This gig will be advertised by Impact and the MAC, and is a great opportunity to play your music in a high-quality, nationally known venue
Other optional elements – open for discussion at the start of the residency
- Providing supporting musicians (if required) to feature on recordings and/or in live performance
- Constructive feedback on songs, live performance, arrangements etc.
- Help with photography, graphic design
- Putting you in touch with graphic designers, photographers, video and audio producers we know, if this is something you want to pursue
- Continued support and advice (for example, on running your own shows) once the residency has ended
And we will provide this free of charge to the resident band. In return, we ask that the band plays the three gigs at the MAC and commits to the programme agreed at the outset.
*Recording the demo tracks is on condition that Impact retains certain recording rights, and has use of these recordings for promotional purposes. We're happy to chat through any questions on this! Give us a shout at firstname.lastname@example.org