RESIDENCY programme: What is it?
The Impact Residency Programme is designed for bands and solo artists based in Birmingham [see Who is it For].
Each year we work with 3 bands/artists to record and mix up to three high-quality demo tracks and put on a quality show at a local independent venue.
We are looking for bands/artists who show excellent potential, a creative, original edge and who express their own unique voice or sound.
A band/artist can apply to be a resident band by applying to the Impact Residency Programme in January each year [see How do I Apply?]
*The deadline for applications for our 2018 programme is 28th January 2018*
- Jan – Application selection
- Feb – Band/artist 1 (recording/mixing)
- Mar – Band/artist 1 (recording/mixing)
- Apr – Band/artist 1 (show)
- May – Band/artist 2 (recording/mixing)
- Jun – Band/artist 2 (recording/mixing)
- Jul – Band/artist 2 (show)
- Aug – <BREAK>
- Sept – Band/artist 3 (recording/mixing)
- Oct – Band/artist 3 (recording/mixing)
- Nov – Band/artist 3 (show)
- Dec – Applications open
*Although every effort will be made to accommodate individual band/artist preferences in relation to recording dates, final decisions on which dates are offered will be made by Impact
We will work with the resident band over a three-month period and record up to three high-quality demo tracks for the band to use* We will also work closely with the resident band to create the best finished product we can. For examples of tracks we produced in 2017 click here
Each resident band will get to play a headline show at an independent arts/music venue in Birmingham* The exact venue will depend on availability and fit with the type of band/artist. Previous venues we’ve promoted at include: the mac; Hare & Hounds (Kings Heath) and the Bulls Head (Moseley).
Other optional elements (open for discussion at the start of the residency):
Access to supporting musicians (if required) to feature on recordings and/or in live performance
Access to our network of contacts: graphic designers, photographers, filmmakers, radio and music producers
Constructive feedback on songs, live performance, arrangements etc.
Continued support and advice (for example, on running your own shows) once the residency has ended
And we will provide this free of charge to the resident band. In return, we ask that the band plays a headline show and commits to the programme agreed at the outset [see *Conditions].
*We are currently only able to offer places on the Impact Residency Programme to 3 applicants each year. Applicants will be selected by the Impact Team and the successful resident bands/artists will be announced at the beginning of February 2018*
1. Recording the demo tracks is on condition that Impact retains certain recording rights, and has use of these recordings for promotional purposes – this includes the right to distribute versions of the tracks to Impact zine subscribers and to sell copies of the tracks at Impact events only. Of course, the band/artist can use the finished recordings any way they wish.
2. The band/artist agrees to perform free of charge at an event organised by Impact at a Birmingham arts/music venue on a date set by Impact and agreed with the band/artist at the outset of the programme
3. The band/artist gives Impact permission to reproduce lyrics from the recorded tracks in print or online for promotional purposes.
We're happy to chat through any questions on this! Give us a shout at email@example.com